Monday, 20 January 2014

Slow and Steady

Sometimes I get so worked up over the fact that I have to maintain my day job whilst other creatives are doing what they love on a daily basis, full time, making enough money so that they don't need a day job. It's not really to do with other illustrators and designers of course, it's to do with my impatience, and admittedly a bit of self doubt. This month I've noticed a lot of positivity and good advice going around, particularly on twitter, and it has recharged my batteries somewhat.

I didn't make any New Year's resolutions, because I'm not quite sentimental enough to hold stock with the idea of regeneration in a new year. Another reason is because I didn't want to put any dents in my self esteem if any of them fell through. I say this mainly in regards to my career, which luckily is the only thing I ever feel needs a change or a boost. I have a roundabout plan to push harder this year though, and that has come from seeing other people working hard and succeeding.

Enough of me rambling on. The point is, I've started a few things already that I hope will bring me a bit of motivation and more importantly, work. You are not going to believe this, and I am deeply ashamed to admit it, but this morning I posted out my very first promotional postcards. Alright, so I graduated in 2010, but it's done now, and it's going to be done every 3 months from now on. The other things I did, were to refresh my website, and create a new, *official* shop to compliment it.






4 comments:

  1. looks absolutely lush, you should be proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wanted to keep it simple, but make it more organised. :)

      Delete
  2. Website is looking lovely! I know how you feel about the day job getting you down, I found this blog post very reassuring http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2013/12/dont-quit-your-day-job/ Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen. That article is great. Bookmarked it for when I'm feeling doubtful. :)

      Delete