Monday, 2 September 2013

France 2013 - Paris

Starting as we meant to go on: brunch and cocktails at the Gilbert Scott before we caught the Eurostar



Okay, time for another long overdue blog. At the end of May/beginning of June, my boyfriend and I took a holiday to France.We started in Paris for three nights, then escaped the hustle and bustle of the city for a little village in the Alsace, where we stayed for a week. I don't want to write too much, but I would like to share with you a selection of photos from our trip. There will be plenty of food, and not too many photos of the usual tourist attractions. You've all seen La Tour Eiffel and L'Arc de Triomphe a million times, I'm sure. 
Patisserie from Pierre Hermé - you can't get them from their London boutiques! 
We took the stairs




We climbed the Eiffel Tower on the first night, despite being quite tired and full of patisserie. It was the absolute perfect time. We got there at a quiet juncture in the day, so we didn't have to queue at all, and the sun had started to go down over the city on our descent, highlighting all the architecture.

The gorgeous bathroom in our apartment was worth a picture, I think



One for the drawing list - it's been too long since I last drew a row of attractive buildings!
We did a lot of walking, and he made sure I got to see all of the main tourist-type places that were worth seeing, but for the most part we let our stomachs and inclinations guide us. We had dinner at a quintessential French restaurant on a quiet street near our apartment on the second night, and sought out a few recommendations, like the excellent Gontran Cherrier's artisan bakery, and Jean Paul Hévan for chocolates and macarons (when in Paris!). We couldn't not dip into the Ladureé tea salon while we were around the Champs-Élyseés, either. 

Treats from Jean Paul Hévan



Tarte Passion Frambroise and a pot of tea at Ladurée



The counter inside Gontran Cherrier - so many ingenious breads and flavour combinations





Our host Matthieu recommended Gontran Cherrier, which is in Montmartre, and he also recommended that instead of getting the metro back, we take a wander down the covered galleries. They're so well maintained, and full of books, art and curiosities. I got a Tin Tin comic for 10€.







On the last night we met up with our friend Stéphane, who took us to this completely MAD restaurant. It's known for serving up "typical" french delights, like escargot and frogs legs. Now, don't misunderstand me. I'm not a stranger to snails. The mad part was the size of the queue (we nearly gave up!) and the size of the hall (it was huge! Total chaos!--In an entertaining way). I wish I'd gotten a picture of the room, but I'm sure that 2D wouldn't do it justice. I have no idea how the waiters managed to remember everyone's orders, but it was all present and correct. Mark had a calf's head. It was.. Interesting.

On that note, I'm getting hungry, but I always intended this to be a two-parter. Next time - Alsace.



No comments:

Post a Comment