Wednesday, 20 February 2013

Franziskanerkirche - Graz

I'm back, with some more Austrian buildings! This one is of the Franciscan church and monastery on the river Mur in Graz's old town.

On our trip last year, we started in Salzburg for a few days, then took the train through the Alps and finished with four days in Graz. My first words to him upon pulling into Graz Hauptbahnhof were "Mark, where have you taken me? Can we go back to Salzburg, please?" The entire place seemed to be under construction. Busy and grey, scaffolding and wire fences lined the streets, and all the shops seemed to be either discount stores or fast food outlets (I did spot a cool looking record shop, but didn't stop to go in). We were of course still in "New Town". After walking in a straight line for ten minutes or so, clutching our valuables to us, fearful of this strange construction site which was a world away from picturesque Salzburg, we finally made it to our hotel. Boy, had we jumped the gun.

Firstly, I'll just say that Graz is amazing. Don't be put off by the previous bit of prose. Although New Town looks to be having a lot of work done to it currently, Old Town did not disappoint. Not only was it aesthetically stunning - as old towns tend to be - it was packed with culture, lots of great places to eat (very important to this particular couple!), and hardly a tourist in sight. We were there for the Styrian Autumn Festival, so got to witness the true Austrian spirit in the form of thousands of natives in lederhosen and traditional dress, making merry in the centre of town. It was incredible. My favourite part of the trip was climbing the Schlossberg, which we did twice. On our last full day we climbed up and spent a lazy few hours taking in the view and the sunshine. It was probably one of the best places I've ever been, that mountain.

I've just realised that this is probably the first time that I've written intimately on this blog. I suppose I'd like you to know that I'm not just drawing these cute little buildings for nothing. They're places I've been and experienced and loved.

Anyway, I hope that you like the new illustration. As with the past ones, it'll soon be available in my Etsy shop. Just keep an eye out, or follow me on twitter to keep up to date.


No comments:

Post a Comment