Saturday, 19 May 2012

Scrooged


Another Belly Kids illustration for you now, for a collaborative Bill Murray colouring book (awesome, huh?). The brief was pretty loose: pick a Bill Murray movie and do an illustration based on it. Deliverables were one coloured illustration, and one of just the linework in black and white.

I really got into this drawing, probably because I loved the brief so much. I spent literally all day yesterday working on it, and I don't think I've ever spent so long on photoshop in one stint in my life! I'm happy with the results, but I could play around and tweak it forever. I still feel like I'm discovering this side to my illustration practice; the side where the envisioned outcome isn't a screen print. Ideally I would like to master a way of colouring that retains the sketchy quality of my original drawings, but for the purposes of this brief, I think the clean lines (especially in the black and white version) are perfect for a colouring book.

I'm terrible for trying new styles and techniques rather than following a consistent method. Maybe one day you'll look at my portfolio and everything will look the same.

But probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment